Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx Handheld GPS Navigator by Garmin

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 Labels:
Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx Handheld GPS Navigator
The venerable Garmin 60C just got a whole lot better. The 7.5-ounce GPSMap 60Cx now features an insanely accurate, high-sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF that tracks your position even in tree cover and canyons. Plus, you get a bright, sunlight-readable color TFT display and an included a 64 MB microSD card for storage of optional map detail. Simply put, this powerful unit is ready to take you anywhere on land or sea.

  • High-sensitivity GPS receiver
  • Color-handheld mapping ideal for both marine and outdoor use
  • Bright, sunlight-readable color TFT display
  • 64 MB microSD card for storage of optional map detail
  • Fast USB connectivity makes loading charts and maps quick and easy

Click here to check price or purchase Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx Handheld GPS Navigator

Ok, I've used this product for a year now, the honeymoon's over... LOL... ...and I still love this product. It has performed superbly way beyond my expectations. First of all, it is indeed very rugged. I've dropped this unit many times, abraded the casing against rocks, accidentally given it impromptu dunkings in rivers and streams (not sea water yet!), and have taken it into extremes of temperature from freezing 20 below, to 120 degree desert. All I can say is, it has endured all of this abuse admirably.
Secondly, the unit when hooked up with the North America Map Pack and the car power cord (which illuminates the display constantly) serves as an excellent turn-by-turn driving GPS. Sure a bigger screen might be nice, but the GPS and directions work (with audible alerts), so I have no complaints. The big advantage is that you can easily unhook it and take the unit with you since it was designed to be handheld, thus avoiding the biggest new temptation for auto burglars.
Thirdly, much to my delight, the base maps pre-installed with the unit include INTERNATIONAL locations also! I was able to use my GPS extensively while traveling abroad 1) ensuring that I could not get "lost" and 2) keeping an automatic, constantly updating travel track log for me. This has turned out to be a wonderful extra benefit of traveling with a good GPS unit. Everywhere I went, every interesting site, every store, every restaurant, every beautiful vista, was accurately and duly recorded, and when I got home and uploaded this track log to my computer, I have a perfect travel diary of my journey. Also, marking waypoints and actually labeling them is quite easy with this GPS unit, and I've been able to do it with gloved hands. If I'm in a hurry, I'd just set a "marker" and then come back and label it later.
I burn through batteries at a consistent rate of 2 AAs every 3 or 4 days (as I power down at night), which is fine with me, to avoid all the hassles of recharging or degrading performance of rechargeables.

Any negatives??
Well, I wish that instead of suspending all functions and wasting power to give me multiple and redundant audible and lit up "pop-up" warnings that my "BATTERY IS LOW", that it would just go ahead and try to function with what little power is left until I run out of power. This is an annoying idiosyncracy of many small electronics including cell phones and iPods. I mean, I can't help but wonder how much longer these units might have functioned if they didn't expend their last gasp of power on these incessant low power warnings.
I think I would have extended the grippy rubber covering to the sides of the unit also. The times that I've dropped it were usually because it simply slipped out of my hand while holding it along the sides.
Alas, the nifty plastic belt clip did not last long under field use. Replacement clips are hard to get (and pricey too). I finally had to upgrade to a rugged military grade nylon web pouch (designed to hold a single smoke or flash-bang grenade).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
the greatsoft © 2010 | Designed by Blogger Hacks | Blogger Template by ColorizeTemplates